Monday, January 09, 2017

Succulents or Succulence - A hidden Gem and my search for Striata!

It was a Sunday filled with rain and wind in San Francisco. Kinda limited in doing things but we managed to take care of errands and enjoy the day. Our day started a bit late, made breakfast and planned out what we were going to do. 

My goal was to go to Flora Grubb to replace my Aloe striata (Coral Aloe) as I know they have some in the right size due to the fact that someone stepped on it in my yard but I have a feeling its going to survive. I'm very particular as I wanted to purchase a 4-6inch pot size not the giant gallon pots. I love to see my plants grow which is the reward in growing succulents and I of course I didnt want to break the bank.

Just on Saturday, I did my search on Saturday, hitting up 3 different Sloats Garden Center and to 2 different Orchard Supply (they were on the way and it didnt hurt to stop by).   No purchases at Sloats but I did find Spanish Moss at OSH and I couldn't resist to buy it especially when it was about $4 for a bunch. Spanish Moss (Tillandsia useneoides) was one of those Tillandsias that I really wanted and didn't think it was possible to get them out here in California. 

Anyways continuing on our Sunday adventure for trying to find my A. striata. it was about noon when we left the house and before that I was checking Flora Grubb's facebook and website to see if they were open. And they were... then when pulling out of the garage, I checked again and they closed due to the severe weather. I have to admit, it was a good call on their part, for the plants sake and for safety reasons. But plant nuts like myself will try even in extreme weather :) 

So we continued to do everything on our list which was in the Castro. Haircut and supply pickups for Mike. But of course, I got distracted by shiny lights aka plants in a window. The shop we ended up going to is called Hortica. A cute shop tucked away in the Castro District. I ended up picking up two Tillandsia, T. tricolor & T. montana. I'll share pics of these babies when I get a chance. I did check to see if they did happen to have my aloe but they didn't. They did carry hardy succulents in the back. I'll come back again and cover this place. Its a fun quirky shop for the urban gardeners. Go check them out, you can tell the owner loves plants and will share his knowledge with you.. it really shows. You just have to ask questions =) 

We finished our errands in the Castro and I said, "lets go to Sloat Garden on Sloat". We did end up going there but no Aloe in sight. Just enjoyed walking around but it was way too windy and wet for our liking so we left. I did enjoy this Aeonium as it was bursting behind the agave. I'm going to add this one to my wish list and will find a home for it. For those curious, its called Aeonium 'Sunburst' (Aeonium davidbramwelli).

As we settled back in the car, I did a quick google search "Succulents" for hopes of finding my Aloe. But a shop name caught me by surprise and the location made me think. The name is called "Succulence" and was in Bernal Heights. So we headed that way making our last stop on a big loop back to the Mission. 

The thing is, I never heard of this shop before and a nursery in Bernal Hieghts kept me kinda curious. Just put it this way, It did NOT disappoint at all. Once you find parking (if driving) just enter the shop and you will be awe once you enter. 

Come on, there is a chair covered with succulents in the window display. Many terrariums and different style of pots everywhere. There is even a giant Ficus growing in the middle branching out along the ceiling. They have a great selection of different Airplants which I did purchase. I wish I took pictures inside of the shop but I was so consumed with everything inside that I forgot to. Sorry! 

The staff is kind, and allowed you to enjoy their space. Its definitely not your everyday nursery so dont expect that, but just enjoy the novelty of it all. They carry hand crafted pots from local artists, different color pots for you to choose, different gravel mulch to use. Even a table near the back for you to put your plants together. I really wish i did take some snaps inside the shop but then, you step in the back and you are amazed at how clean and organized such a small space can be holding many Succulents and Cacti. 

Pricing is simple and are usually sold by the pot size. Yes it can be more expensive than other places but the selections look healthy and reliable. Again, don't expect this to be a typical nursery because it is not. I roamed the back area for a long time looking at every single plant thinking "where can I place it and do I really need it? lol" and of course no Aloe striata. But it was okay, I totally forgot about it.

I know I will do some purchases here very soon as they do have some plants that I do want but didn't want to purchase it at that moment. 

Here are some pictures from the nursery area in the back. It speaks for itself! 







I didnt leave with a succulent this time but with a white pot and another Tillandsia (Tillandsia juncea).

Cute place and great place if you want to make a plant gift for someone or if you want to include something living in your space. This place is thriving and recommend them.

Store: Succulence life and garden
Website: www.thesucculence.com 
Digits: 415.282.2212
Address: 402 Cortland Ave, San Francisco CA 94110

No comments: