Thursday, January 05, 2017

Poinsettia in SF

One of my favorite things to do is walk around San Francisco. I am pretty sure you will find something interesting on your walk. For me, I love looking for plants or little hidden street art.

Last month, I was walking towards the Castro to have a cocktail and this gem caught me by surprise. I was across the street and amazed by the red colors and my mind was flipping through the Rolodex of plants I know. It was not clicking until I got closer to it.



To my surprise it was a Poinsettia bush! I was always told to toss these as we cant grow them in our area. I've never seen one as bush/tree or this big period! Oh course that saying, "Only in San Francisco!" can apply here as the climate is perfect to grow just about anything! You will find an orchid growing right next to a cactus in peoples urban gardens and all they say is, I just water it!

This gorgeous plant in the picture resides in the Mission and did make me a happy person, especially it being the holiday season.

_____________________________
Plant info: 
Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima)
Native to Mexico
Hardiness to Zone 10-11
Full Sun to Partial Shade
Evergreen
Plants are poisonous if ingested, and/or 
may have an allergic reaction
_____________________________

Hope everyone had a great Holiday and wonderful New Year celebration.

My New Year was calm one, Mike and I went to Avenue Q (which was the first time I've seen it). It did not disappoint. Such a fun show.

Anyways, Cheers to 2017!

No comments: